Selby District Council and North Yorkshire County Council

Many local services are provided by the larger Local Authorities that cover Tadcaster, i.e. North Yorkshire County Council and Selby District Council. The Town Council is always happy to help with enquiries about local services, but we may have to pass you on to the appropriate County or District office.

The County Council

is responsible for, among other things
  • Education, including Adult Education
  • Highway maintenance
  • Most street lighting (see below for reporting faulty street lights)
  • Traffic issues, footpaths, and rights of way
  • Social Services


The District Council

is responsible for, among other things
  • Planning and building development
  • The Central and Britannia Car Parks
  • Street cleaning
  • Recycling and refuse collection
  • The public lavatory next to the bus station
  • All Council House issues – allocation, repairs, etc..
  • All Council Tax enquiries
  • Pest control
  • Social Services
  • Environmental health
  • Fly tipping
  • Dog warden service
  • Car parking enforcement
  • Licensing of pubs and taxis


District Council 'One Stop Shop'

The District Council no longer has an office in Tadcaster, but you can get advice about a wide range of your local services during regular drop-in sessions held by Selby District Council's Tadcaster and Villages area Community Officers.

The sessions are held every Thursday between 9.30am and 12.30pm at Calcaria House, Windmill Rise, Tadcaster.

If you've got any questions, comments or concerns about housing issues, your local environment, planning, benefits or environmental health then come along to get some help.

You can also contact the Community Officers
By phone on: 01757 705101                   By email:

Information at the Library

Information about some District Council and County Council services is also available from the Library on Station Road. You can see details of these on the Selby District Council website.

Street Light Faults

The County Council is responsible for most of the street light columns in the town although the Town Council owns 55 of them. All County lights have a number on them: the Town Council ones are unmarked or have a TPC (Tadcaster Parish Council) mark.

All street lights faults within the town can be reported by providing the column number (where there is one) and the exact location to any of the following:-

North Yorkshire County Council
Telephone - 0845 8 727374
Email –
Tadcaster Town Council
Telephone - 01937 834113
e-mail –
In person at the Tadcaster Town Council office on Kirkgate. (Opening hours Monday – Thursday 9.30am – 12.30pm)