North Yorkshire Council

Many local services are provided by the larger Local Authority, North Yorkshire Council covering Tadcaster.

The Town Council is always happy to help with enquiries about local services but may have to pass you on to North Yorkshire Council.

North Yorkshire Council

is responsible for the following among other things:

  • Education, including Adult Education
  • Highway maintenance
  • Most street lighting (see below for reporting faulty streetlights)
  • Traffic issues, footpaths, and rights of way
  • Social Services
  • Planning and building development
  • The Central and Britannia Car Parks
  • Street cleaning
  • Recycling and refuse collection
  • The public lavatory next to the bus station
  • All Council House issues – allocation, repairs, etc.
  • All Council Tax enquiries
  • Pest control
  • Social Services
  • Environmental health
  • Fly tipping
  • Dog warden service
  • Car parking enforcement
  • Licensing of pubs and taxis 

Information at the Library

Information about some North Yorkshire Council services is also available from the Library on Station Road. You can see details of these on the North Yorkshire Council website.


Street Light Faults

North Yorkshire Council is responsible for most of the street light columns in the town although the Town Council owns 55 of them. All North Yorkshire Council lights have a number on them: the Town Council ones are unmarked or have a TPC (Tadcaster Parish Council) mark.

All street lights faults within the town can be reported by providing the column number (where there is one) and the exact location to any of the following:


North Yorkshire Council
Telephone - 0300 131 2 131
or via the website
Tadcaster Town Council
Telephone - 01937 834113
e-mail –
In person at the Tadcaster Town Council office on Kirkgate. (Opening hours Monday – Thursday 9.30am – 12.30pm)